In "Apocalypse" from Cigarettes After Sex, there is a line that made me think for such a while "Got the music in you baby tell me why. Got the music in you baby tell me why." Where the music comes from? The composer might want to tell his lover: whenever I am with you, I hear a melody, a song that I don't know where it comes from.

Some people feel butterflies in their stomachs when they fall in love. The rest, I think, may hear the melody, the music.

I composed "Tell Me" in February 2017. Before, I never thought about composing music. Composing music for me sounded so serious as if I was an artist while I was not. Forget about it.

But when the time comes, I feel it everywhere. I hear it when I am walking on the street, while I am waking up in the morning, showering, or cooking. The air is filled up with that particular melody. And then I can't do anything except capture it, put it down on the paper, give it the lyrics, record it in my way so I can sing it out. Keep it so it won't go away.

Then I understand composing is not inventing. It's purely a job of capturing the melody sent from the world of human feelings, a world that can not be seen or touched. But can be heard and felt.

Comments

Popular Posts